tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Igal @ getRailo.org" <i...@getrailo.org>
Subject Re: Host appBase vs Context docBase
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:13:22 GMT
> Normally,we configure docBase when we want the application to be resided on a separate
directory and not inside tomcat
that's exactly what I'm trying to do

> when you use docBase I don't think you need to configure host/appbase as well
if I don't use host/appBase then "webapps" is set as default, and then
if a document that exists in "webapps" is requested, e.g. /index.jsp and
it does not exist in my application directory, then it is served from
webapps, which is something that I really don't want to happen.

sure, I can clear the contents of the webapps folder instead of creating
the empty folder, but not sure I want to do that either.

On 7/5/2014 3:49 AM, Neeraj Sinha wrote:
> Normally,we configure docBase when we want the application to be resided on
> a separate directory and not inside tomcat. So, when you use docBase I
> don't think you need to configure host/appbase as well.
> Appbase folders go under tomcat directory parallel to default appbase
> webapps. Each appbase is mapped to a particular host so we configure more
> than one appbases when we want to have applications running under different
> hosts deployed in the same tomcat.
>
> On Jul 5, 2014 7:35 AM, "Igal @ getRailo.org" <igal@getrailo.org> wrote:
>> I'm a little confused about the Host appBase attribute.
>>
>> Let's say that my website resides in D:\www\site1
>>
>> I don't like using {Tomcat}/webapps so I don't want to have it as a base
> directory for websites.  What I've been doing so far is create an empty
> folder alongside "webapps", named "empty", and use it as appBase, e.g.
>> <Host name="Site1" appBase="empty" unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false">
>>    <!-- this works but what's the deal with appBase? !-->
>>    <Context path="/" docBase="D:/www/site1" />
>> </Host>
>>
>> But it feels like I'm doing something wrong.  I expect this to work, but
> it doesn't:
>> <Host name="Site1" appBase="D:/www/site1" unpackWARs="false"
> autoDeploy="false">
>>    <!-- this doesn't work !-->
>> </Host>
>>
>> Can anyone explain why the snippet above doesn't work, and if that is the
> way it should be, then what is the purpose of Host/appBase?
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Igal Sapir
>> Railo Core Developer