tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Igal @ getRailo.org" <i...@getrailo.org>
Subject Host appBase vs Context docBase
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2014 02:04:41 GMT
I'm a little confused about the Host appBase attribute.

Let's say that my website resides in D:\www\site1

I don't like using {Tomcat}/webapps so I don't want to have it as a base
directory for websites.  What I've been doing so far is create an empty
folder alongside "webapps", named "empty", and use it as appBase, e.g.

<Host name="Site1" appBase="empty" unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false">
   <!-- this works but what's the deal with appBase? !-->
   <Context path="/" docBase="D:/www/site1" />
</Host>

But it feels like I'm doing something wrong.  I expect this to work, but
it doesn't:

<Host name="Site1" appBase="D:/www/site1" unpackWARs="false"
autoDeploy="false">
   <!-- this doesn't work !-->
</Host>

Can anyone explain why the snippet above doesn't work, and if that is
the way it should be, then what is the purpose of Host/appBase?

TIA

--
Igal Sapir
Railo Core Developer