tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [somewhat OT] Apache Tomcat7 service start randomly after the installation of McAfee antivirus.
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 07:33:42 GMT
Blachon, Philippe wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> We have 4 identical servers with a scheduled task running every night on each of them.
This task Stop Tomcat -> Update some data -> Start Tomcat.
> This worked fine for months.
> We have installed a new antivirus McAfee 3 weeks ago. Now the Tomcat7 service starts
randomly. At least 1 of the 4 server needs a manual start of the Tomcat7 service every morning.

> Do you know if there is specifics problems between Tomcat and Mc Afee ?
> We have already tried to exclude Tomcat.exe from McAfee scanning. Is there other thing
we could exclude without compromising the security ?

> Configuration:
> Windows server 2008 R2 Standard - SP1
> Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 Server
> McAffee Agent 4.8.0.1500
> Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.04001
>
> Thanks, have a nice day,
> Philippe Blachon.

Not a direct answer to your question, but maybe a bit of lateral and logical thinking here
:

Why would one run a virus scanner permanently on a Tomcat server ?
And why run it on most of the disk space, as opposed to just the few directories where
some client /might/ upload external files ?
Do the applications even allow clients to put files on that server ?