tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Albert Kam <moonblade.w...@gmail.com>
Subject What could be the cause of <defunct> tomcat7 process ?
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:01:30 GMT
I was running tomcat7 production server for several days, and then suddenly
it was **unreachable** by the http port. Strangely though, the background
processes **were still running** as can be seen by the logs.

So i tried to stop tomcat7 using `invoke-rc.d tomcat7 stop` from my *debian
wheezy* box. But still the process is still there, with the <defunct> flag.
I tried `kill -9 <pid>` and `killall -9 java`, but still the process is
there - still occupying the port, causing me cannot start a new tomcat with
the port is already used error.

I had to reboot. And everything is normal from there.

But i'm curious of what might cause this kind of situation ? There's no big
loads whatsoever. Only some background processes running, scraping. I can
see nothing suspicious from the logs.

What should i do if this happens again to get to the **real cause** and fix
it ?

Here's my connector settings :

    <Connector port="8080" address="127.0.0.1"
    maxParameterCount="500"
    maxPostSize="250000"
    scheme="http"
    secure="false"
    protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
        connectionTimeout="20000"
    disableUploadTimeout="false"
    connectionUploadTimeout="300000"
    maxThreads="500"
    processorCache="500"
        URIEncoding="UTF-8"
    />

My tomcat version : **7.0.28-4+deb7u1**

My VM args :

> JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true
> -Dspring.profiles.active="background,production" -XX:-UseSplitVerifier
-javaagent:/var/lib/tomcat7/spring-instrument-3.2.3.RELEASE.jar -server
-Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:-HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/tomcat7/dump
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseTLAB
-XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing
-XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycleMin=0 -XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycle=10
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -XX:SurvivorRatio=256
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

jdk version : **7u60**

--
Do not pursue the past. Do not lose yourself in the future.
The past no longer is. The future has not yet come.