tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.0.50 - URL Questions
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:53:53 GMT
J Java wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Whoever you are
>>> I am just a relatively novice Java developer. and certainly not as
> famous or an expert like
> you.
>
> The correct way of doing things is to make re-name your web
> application ROOT and deploy it as such. If you want to get rid of the
> port number, you'll have to run Tomcat on port 80 instead of 8080 or
> 86 or whatever
>
>>> Ok. but what if i have to do this for multiple applications on a single
> tomcat. I guess tomcat can have only one default ROOT app. right?

Well, yes. It would be a bit confusing otherwise.

>>> Also general practice is to run tomcat behind HTTP and not expose it
> directly to internet.

It is an often-used configuration, but not a general practice.
Tomcat is not shy, and does not need to hide behind http. It can be its own front-end
webserver on the WWW.
People who put a httpd in front of it do it for a reason, otherwise it would be a waste of

cpu cycles.

  Please forgive me if my assumptions are absurd