tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Stateless application is very slow using LDAP authentication
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:48:47 GMT
Frédéric Poliquin wrote:
> << What if you disable authentication entirely as a test... do things speed-up?>>
Answer is YES
> << Do you have a problem only under load or also when you are testing a single-user?>>
Single user

> What I did is to put Tomcat behind an Apache Server which solved my problem. Maybe it
could be a good new feature to add in future releases...

Can you explain how this solved your problem ?

If you are using Basic Authentication, without sessions, even httpd would need to
re-authenticate to AD/LDAP with every request, no ?

Maybe the AD/LDAP authentication code within httpd is faster than the one in JNDIRealm,
but you may still be issuing many more authentication requests to the AD/LDAP server than

you would do with a better solution.  That may not be very scalable, and come back to hurt

you when you scale up your application.