tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Please help diagnosing a random production Tomcat 7.0.53 Internal Server Error!
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:57:19 GMT
Ian,

On this list, it is kind of frowned-upon to "top post". It is preferred when people answer

a question, below the question.  Keeps things more logical in the reading sequence, and
avoids having to scroll down to guess what you are responding to.

Ian Long wrote:
> Yes, I checked both the tomcat log (I’ve configured tomcat to use log4j) as well as
my application logs.

> Yes, 20 httpd prefork processes.
>
> I don’t think it’s memory related, I have an 8GB heap and tomcat averages 5GB usage
and peeks around 6.5 before garbage collection kicks in.

Of course we do not know (yet) either what the cause of your problem is.
But we know that Tomcat would normally write something in its logs, when a server error
500 happens.
So,
- either Tomcat and /or your application wrote something to a logfile, and you have not
yet found that logfile
- or else Tomcat and/or your application crashed, but did not write anything to the logs.
In that last case, one of the most likely causes for such a behaviour is running out of
memory.
Whether you believe that this is possible or not is your opinion.
But it is of the nature of software bugs, to be unexpected.
If they were expected, they would have been corrected already.