tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Maximum number of JSP ?
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:31:21 GMT
Sylvain Goulmy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing performance issue with my application which loads a very large
> number of different JSPs (ie 16 000). As the application loads the
> different JSP, the response time becomes longer and the CPU increases.
>
> I have tried many configurations by modifying the maxLoadedJsp,
> PermgenSize, jspIdleTimeout parameters, but without having positive results.
>
> I'd like to know if there are known limitations regarding the max number of
> JSP loaded in an application that could be used without facing performance
> issue ?
>
> Configuration : Tomcat 7.0.52 with Oracle Java 1.6.0.45 on Linux RHEL

Hi.
As a perpetual Java beginner, my first reaction upon reading that number of JPS's above
would be : let's enable Garbage Collector logging, and look at what it says.

Maybe also, just to give us an idea, you could tell us how much memory that system has,
and how much is given to use by Tomcat ?

As far as I first understand such things, each of these JSP's gets compiled into a
servlet, and the code of that servlet is held in memory for an extended period of time,
even if unused at any particular moment. So this is 16000 servlets probably coexisting
(un-)happily inside that JVM. No wonder..
Or am I totally off the mark here, Tomcat/Java experts ?