tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat randomly undeploys and redeploys the applications
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 20:30:34 GMT
Chris,

> Chuck,
>
> On 4/2/14, 8:21 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Elias Kopsiaftis [mailto:yemista@gmail.com] Subject: tomcat
>>> randomly undeploys and redeploys the applications
>>
>>> I deploy the application, then in the log file catalina.out i get
>>> many messages from WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
>>> saying threads appear to have started but have failed to stop
>>
>> This is an indication that your webapp is not managing its threads
>> properly.
>>
>>> then finally, Ill get a message from HostConfig checkResources
>>> that says its undeploying the context, and then it redeploys.
>>
>> This is sometimes caused by incorrect timestamps on the bits of the
>> webapp that Tomcat monitors, or an incorrect clock setting on the
>> system Tomcat is running on.  The mismatch makes it appear that the
>> webapp is being updated continuously.
>
> I've found that in development, a single update can cause Tomcat to go
> into a loop of redeployments, re-deploying my web application every
> few seconds or so. If I let it go, it does finally stop reloading and
> settle down.

Can you describe your development environment a little bit, and any
thoughts as to what might trigger this loop of redeployments?

I've not seen this, but it could explain some issues some the developers
I support are seeing.

I believe Tomcat will emit a log message informing the administrator
> which file has triggered the reload, but I think it's at the DEBUG log
> level.
>
> - -chris

Thanks,
/mde/