tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: External URL delay from webapp
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 14:49:45 GMT
Scott Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are having an issue with a new tomcat deployment, in our webapp we make a request
to a 3rd party webservice site using http URL for retrieving the data, the first time we click
the button to make the request the information is returned within a second or 2 but if we
click the button again within 5 seconds to request the information again it takes a good minute
for the data to be returned.

> We found that if we set the "-Dhttp.proxyHost  and -Dhttp.proxyPort" options in tomcat
under the java options this resolves the delay but also breaks another request to a different
3rd party using https URL.

Maybe first, understand that this has nothing to do with Tomcat.  So you may have been
looking for information in the wrong places.

It is your application making a connection to some outside endpoint, and Tomcat knows
nothing about it.
The only thing in common between your application and Tomcat, is that they both run in the

same JVM.
So if you set a global JVM option "-D", this impacts *everything* that runs in that JVM :

Tomcat, other applications, and your own application.

You probably need to find a way to set these properties for your application only (or for

that connection only).
Sadly, I don't know java well-enough to know if that is possible in this case.
What library are you using, to make that HTTP call ?  Look there first.