tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: RES: Configuring limits of requests/sessions/threads in Tomcat
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:50:28 GMT
Danilo Amaral de Oliveira wrote:
> Milo,
>
> The video is embedded in a JWPlayer Javascript application.  The video is in the page
too, but you need download it before watch it.

> Summarizing, here the simulating process of watching the video:
>
> User access the page              | Tomcat serve the page.

Ok, so there can be 5000 users obtaining that page, and just to annoy you, they all wait
before they press the "play" button.
(I would imagine that the page does not really "contain" the video when they get it.  Or
does the fact of simply viewing that page already downloads the video ?)

> User clicks "play" button

So now they all click "play" at the same time.

       | Tomcat send the video to the user (it is the same if the user download it)

That's probably not what really happens, is it ?
I mean, the "play" button must be sending something back to Tomcat.

> User watches the video in the JWPlayer windows| The processing task of the video is in
the local user machine - The interaction between the web application finishes after download
the video.

I searched Google for JWPlayer, and went to their homepage, which shows one such video
window.  I did this with Firefox, with the add-on HttpFox enabled, to see what happens.

not really download the video yet; just a lot of html, stylesheets, javascript, gifs,
jpegs etc.. But nothing very large individually.

When you click the "play" button however, /then/ the browser makes a request for the
"video/mp4" file (in this case 3.6 MB) and starts downloading and playing it.
The request to the server for the video, is just a "GET" request.
(GET
/sEtaWjfL/videos/RxiqSWej-htxObmZA.mp4?5c877a8d15f183bb974dcdccb105a79495b4e5e3b1b6e4cf2779670f5893acd5fb2e2e0fa612e58d66b8691edfddfac95896931e691ea609ff9ddddf808064d5ebbefd315cdd991497cb4a0ea3fdf2a639831982a394

HTTP/1.1)

So is there some application on the server which responds to that GET request from the
page, or just the file itself ?

As for the real solution to your problem, considering that this JWPlayer is a commercial
application, with probably some technical support available, did you ask the supplier
about this ?