tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to deploy Java application into Tomcat in Linux
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 11:00:35 GMT
Randhir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> As per my understanding, the steps to deploy a Java application on Tomcat
> (5.X/6.X) in Linux would be as follows:
>

> 1)      Install Tomcat on Linux
>
> 2)      Add a host entry in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf with the syntax like-
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> <Host name="xxx.co.in" debug="0"
> appBase="/opt/setuponm/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/sterlite/reportstool"
>
>                                 unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false">
>
>                                 <Alias>reports.fion.co.in</Alias>
>

>                 <Context path=""
> docBase="/opt/setuponm/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/sterlite/reportstool" debug="0"
>
>                        reloadable="false" crossContext="false" />
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> The above code would assign the host name to access the URL, gives the
> location of the web application pointed out by appBase & context path.
>

> 3)      Start Tomcat.
>

> Please let me know if the steps above are correct and also please let me
> know in detail if the steps are not correct.

Hi.

Perhaps you should first reflect on the fact that Tomcat is open-source software, provided

for free, and developed and maintained by people who are not being paid to do so.
And then on the fact that this Tomcat Users List is similarly-staffed.
So your last phrase may be interpreted differently from what you think, like : if you want

detailed instructions, check the on-line Tomcat documentation, or hire some paid expert.
Hint : http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

This being said, the main thing that is wrong above is that you are talking about
installing new systems, yet using old versions of tomcat, one of them (5.x) not even
supported anymore.  The current stable version of Tomcat is 7.0.52.
Which tends to show that you have not even done the minimum amount of homework, which
would be at least to look at the Tomcat website's homepage.
Hint : http://tomcat.apache.org

Had you done so, and consulted the on-line documentation, you may also have seen that it
is not recommended to place application <Context> elements inside Tomcat's server.xml
file.
Hint : https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/deployer-howto.html#A_word_on_Contexts

So please go do some work yourself first.  This list likes to help people who are also
willing to help themselves, not people just expecting someone else to do their homework.