tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Scott Bailey <sbai...@donlen.com>
Subject RE: External URL delay from webapp
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 15:14:13 GMT
Thanks André!

This is what I was suspecting too. We were using jrun prior and jrun was proxying for us automatically.
Unfortunately I am not really a java person and do not know how to answer the library question
you posed.
I think we will need our java developers look in to this from java perspective.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: External URL delay from webapp

Scott Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are having an issue with a new tomcat deployment, in our webapp we make a request
to a 3rd party webservice site using http URL for retrieving the data, the first time we click
the button to make the request the information is returned within a second or 2 but if we
click the button again within 5 seconds to request the information again it takes a good minute
for the data to be returned.

> We found that if we set the "-Dhttp.proxyHost  and -Dhttp.proxyPort" options in tomcat
under the java options this resolves the delay but also breaks another request to a different
3rd party using https URL.

Maybe first, understand that this has nothing to do with Tomcat.  So you may have been looking
for information in the wrong places.

It is your application making a connection to some outside endpoint, and Tomcat knows nothing
about it.
The only thing in common between your application and Tomcat, is that they both run in the
same JVM.
So if you set a global JVM option "-D", this impacts *everything* that runs in that JVM :
Tomcat, other applications, and your own application.

You probably need to find a way to set these properties for your application only (or for
that connection only).
Sadly, I don't know java well-enough to know if that is possible in this case.
What library are you using, to make that HTTP call ?  Look there first.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended
for the exclusive use of the intended addressee and may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution
of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. Please notify sender
if you are an unintended recipient and delete the original message without making copies.
Thank you.