tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Danilo Amaral de Oliveira <>
Subject RES: Configuring limits of requests/sessions/threads in Tomcat
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 00:37:09 GMT
Hello Chritopher,

You make score. Exactly, I am waiting 500 users on the peak time. The archive is in a separated
storage in our environment. So, I think that it is not a limiting factor. I will try some
maxthreads configurations and stress situations to see if the server will could handle 500
users. If necessary I can increase the server memory and processing, we have robust cluster.
Actually the server has 4 cores and 8gb of memory.

At the same time, I am analyzing with security team if we could liberate a specific video
in youtube in order to instead use JWPlayer the site use an embedded youtube video, so I take
off the responsibility of tomcat to deliver the video and I can sleep in peace. hahha

Thank you all!

Grupo Energisa
Danilo A. Oliveira
Analista Suporte Aplicacao TI - DPTO CORP. DE INFRAESTR. TI
e-mail: | tel: (32) 3429-6342 | cel: (32) 8452-9478

Esta mensagem contém informação confidencial. Se você a recebeu por engano, não divulgue
ou copie seu conteúdo. Por favor, avise ao remetente imediatamente e apague-a do computador.
Privileged and confidential. If this message has been received by mistake, do not disclose
or copy its contents. Please notify sender and delete immediately.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Christopher Schultz []
Enviada em: terça-feira, 1 de abril de 2014 18:32
Para: Tomcat Users List
Assunto: Re: Configuring limits of requests/sessions/threads in Tomcat

On 4/1/14, 2:03 PM, Danilo Amaral de Oliveira wrote:
> Next week we will deploy a institutional video to all company (more
> than 5k users) in a webpage in an application manges by the Tomcat
> 7.0.40. I have made a stress test through JMeter, simulating a lot of
> simultaneous access, and when the simultaneous access reaches
> 100 users the application stop answering.

What is your expected peak load? If you only need to handle 500 simultaneous users, then you
should be fine.

> I would like to know if I can set a max number (80, for example) of
> requests (maxsession or threads, I dunno) in order to configure the
> tomcat to send a warning page advising the user that the server is
> loaded and try again in few minutes if the limits reach the maximum
> value.

You can change the size of Tomcat's request processing pool. That's either "maxConnections"
on your <Connector> or, better yet, "maxThreads" in your <Executor>.

If you set maxThreads="80", then the 100th request will wait in a queue. You may get request
timeouts at this point, which will be equivalent to the 100-user situation you describe above.

What you really need is a CDN so your servers don't even handle the requests at all. Is there
a place where you can upload your file that will be more scalable and/or faster? Something
like Amazon S3 maybe?

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1
Comment: GPGTools -