tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Baldur" <baldur....@gmail.com>
Subject Tomcat configuration with multiple webapps
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 12:00:24 GMT
Hi all,

                I'd like to get some help about my current architecture. The
current scenario uses mod_jk to connect Apache httpd and Tomcat6. I have two
Tomcat instances (using DeltaManager for session replication and sticky
session enabled) in order to provide high availability and balance load
across instances.  Currently Tomcat manages 28 webapps and 7 of them are
only web services. Generally speaking, a webapp usually involves JSF or
Struts while a web services war involves JAX-WS. Both types of application
have a common stack implemented with Spring and Hibernate. As a result, each
application produces a war of around 40-50 MB.

                I'd like to ask you several questions to provide better
performance:

*         Which approach would be appropriate for this scenario? All wars in
one cluster? Maybe move web services to other cluster?

*         In order to improve deployments, which technique can I use to
minimize war size? Will be the cause of memory issues? I have tried to put
some common jars (spring, apache-commons and so on) in Tomcat lib but I
don't know if there is a better approach by other means.

I read as much as I can but I'm stuck trying to find the best tools to
monitor the system and tackle memory issues (such as the dreaded PermGen).
I think it's a quite common scenario for a relatively small production
environment but I don't find the best configuration that suits this type of
deployment.

        Any help would be much appreciated.

        Thanks very much in advance

        Cheers