tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>
Subject Connection pooling issue on Tomcat
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:58:03 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm using Tomcat 6.0.29 for an app I've had in place for years. I run the Java app I have
on a Windows 2003 server for my production region, but have local builds on both my desktop
and laptop, both of which are Windows XP Pro. Yes, I do realize that the Tomcat version is
old, but we'll be retiring the app in a few months so there's no need (at this time) to upgrade
it.

I use connection pooling, specifically Tomcat's DBCP class.

This app has worked for years, but is suddenly encountering a strange connection error and
issue to the PROD region only of Oracle 11.
This just started in the last week. I'll include the contents of my context XML file and the
errors that it's generating.

Even stranger, my development build to the Oracle UAT region works just fine! These content.xml
files are virtually the same, except one references the Oracle PROD region, and the other
references the Oracle UAT region. The Resource name attributes vary really only slightly,
one called myoracle, the other called myoracledev.

<Context>
  <Resource
    auth="Container"
    description="changectrlapp"
    name="jdbc/myoracle"
    type="javax.sql.DataSource"
    driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
    username="username"
    password="password"
   url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@servername.dom.net:1648:SVCNAME"
    maxIdle="30"
    maxWait="10000"
    maxActive="20"
    testOnBorrow="true"
    timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="-1"
    minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="28800"
    poolPreparedStatements="true"
    removeAbandoned="true"
    removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
    logAbandoned="false"/>

The errors I am getting are:

javax.servlet.ServletException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (ORA-01033:
ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

This may not be much to go on.

But like I said, with attributes only slightly different, the connection to UAT works. By
the way, I am connecting successfully to the Oracle PROD DB through other avenues: TOAD,SQL
Plus, MS Access, etc.

So the DB itself is working.

Both my DEV/UAT and PROD regions use the same DBCP classes. Could something have gotten corrupted
for one and not the other?

Any feedback is welcomed. Let me know, please, if I neglected to add anything pertinent to
this.