tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat7w.exe
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:50:31 GMT
Leo Donahue wrote:
> Did I miss something in the documentation about renaming this if one is
> running multiple windows services of Tomcat?
>
> ex:
> #Prod port 80
> c:\apache-tomcat
> c:\apache-tomcat\apache-tomcat-7.0.52
> service install Tomcat7 (from bin directory here)
>
> #Dev port 8080
> c:\apache-tomcat-dev
> c:\apache-tomcat-dev\apache-tomcat-7.0.52
> service install Tomcat7dev (from bin directory here)
>
> If I run the Tomcat7w.exe from #Dev, all of those settings point to #Prod.
>
> Unless I change the name of Tomcat7w.exe in #Dev to Tomcat7devw.exe, then
> everything is fine.
>
> Was that listed in the docs somewhere and I missed it?

Well, "kind of" :

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html#Tomcat7w_monitor_application

says :

//ES// 	Edit service configuration 	This is the default operation. It is called if the no

option is provided but the executable is renamed to servicenameW.exe

and further down somewhere it says :

To modify the service settings, you can run tomcat7w //ES//instance1.

So I guess that what this means is :

If you run tomcat7W.exe without parameters, by default it starts in "edit service
parameters mode", and it looks for the Service "Tomcat7".

You /can/ override this by starting it as :
tomcat7W.exe //ES//tomcat7prod  (for instance), in which case it would edit the parameters

of the service "tomcat7prod".
OR
by renaming tomcat7W.exe to tomcat7prodW.exe, in which case by default (when started
without parameters) it would start in "edit parameters mode", for the service named
"tomcat7prod".

or something like that...
;-)