tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bobby Walker <bobjwal...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:05:33 GMT

On Feb 24, 2014, at 3:28 AM, Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl> wrote:

> On 24.02.2014 00:09, Bobby Walker wrote:
>> The FreeBSD way is install via ports.  However, I will go this route
>> and see what happens.
>
> I used to use FreeBSD when versions 5-6 were in use.
> I remember that Java port was not as stable as the Linux one. Compiled one had some problems,
as well as the one ran with Linux compatibility enabled.
> Is it better nowadays?
>
> --
> Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>

I am definitely not a Linux fan at all.   This is my first attempt to use Tomcat, so I really
can't answer that question.  What I can say about it is that it installed from ports very
cleanly, using the openjdk6 port, and was up and running in short order with minimal fuss.

The fuss is a result of the web application that I'm trying to run on the platform.  As an
earlier poster mentioned, the jasper-runtime has been out since before 6.x.  So, I installed
the last 5.x version and that indeed solved that issue, and created a new one too.

I am next going to try to load the project and see if I can do anything to build it to more
modern libraries.