tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AJP and attributes versus headers
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:33:02 GMT
Cédric Couralet wrote:

>>>  We have a Java application running on Tomcat with an Apache HTTP proxy

>>> connector
>>> in server.xml. If Shibboleth put the value in REMOTE_USER as it should
>>> then
>>> tomcat should pick it up as the principal.
>>> Be aware that you should protect your ajp connector so that no other
>>> machine than your Apache can connect to it.
>>>

>> Cedric,
>> I think that the essence of the above is correct, but that strictly
>> speaking the details are not.
>> I do not think that the authenticated user-id from Apache is passed via
>> (or taken from) the REMOTE_USER header.  The mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp
>> modules most probably take the Apache authenticated user-id directly from
>> the Apache "request record" (r->user), no matter how it has been set, and
>> pass it on to Tomcat throughj AJP as a request attribute.
>> The setting of the REMOTE_USER http header is just a side-effect, and may
>> be happening or not.
>> The AJP connector at the Tomcat level, if tomcatAuthentication="false",
>> then uses the value of the received AJP request attribute to set Tomcat's
>> request userPrincipal value.
>> There is no need then for anything else in Tomcat to grab the REMOTE_USER
>> header of the request.
>>

> Yes, I did not mean REMOTE_USER as header but as the environment variable
> in apache httpd (I don't know how to call it).

Yes, that terminology is somewhat confused and confusing.
I call them "Apache httpd variables", because they are not like environment variables for

the Apache httpd process itself, nor like environment variables for the cgi-bin processes

that Apache httpd starts (SetEnv), nor like mod_perl variables (PerlSetEnv), nor are they

http headers.
And in Tomcat/AJP parlance, the closest things are called "request attributes", but which

at the Apache httpd level with mod_jk, one sets with the "JkEnvVar" directive; and with
the mod_proxy module one sometimes sets them via "Parameters" or "Options".
Which are of course not the same at all as the attributes of a Tomcat Connector tag...

  I picked it up from this