tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: What is the best connector configuration for thousands of mostly idle users?
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:56:51 GMT
Cédric Couralet wrote:

>> Jesse Barnum wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Filip Hanik <filip@hanik.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Jesse, mostly idle users and you wish to conserve resources. Use the
>>>>

>>> If I do this, can I keep a long keep-alive time on Apache? I need to
>>> preserve that, because renegotiating SSL connections for every request
>>> grinds the web server to a halt.
>>>
>>> Also, I thought mod_jk and mod_ajp were two different things - how can I
>>> use them both together?
>>>

>> Reply to the last phrase above :
>>
>> mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp are indeed two different things, but with a
>> similar purpose :
>> - each of them is a different add-on module to Apache httpd
>> - each one of them can be used as a connector between Apache httpd and
>> Apache Tomcat
>> - you generally use one or the other, not both at the same time
>> - they both connect to the same AJP <Connector> at the Tomcat level
>> - between Apache httpd and Tomcat, they both "speak the same language"
>> (the AJP protocol)
>>
>> One difference is that mod_jk has quite a few more tunable options than
>> the mod_proxy_ajp module.  The JkOptions mentioned above by Filip is one of
>> these mod_jk options.
>>

> I don't know what that JkOptions options does exactly, but from the name,
> isn't it the same as the disableReuse option on mod_proxy?
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass
>
> Then the OP could try that.

It looks that way. But this mod_proxy parameter (disablereuse, lowercase - I don't know if

it matters) is in a section "BalancerMember parameters", and it is not very clear if that

applies even if you are not using a balancer, or if it is forwarded to mod_proxy_ajp.
Some other options in the same page specify this explicitly, but this one doesn't.

I guess that Mark could answer that.

I think that it would help, in a general sense, if there was a general "translation table"

somewhere showing the AJP or other attributes or control parameters which exist, and to
what option they correspond in respectively mod_jk and mod_proxy/mod_proxy_ajp.
But due to the difficulty of figuring this out by trial and error, probably only the
respective developers can do that.