tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AJP and attributes versus headers
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:41:00 GMT
Cédric Couralet wrote:

>> We have a Java application running on Tomcat with an Apache HTTP proxy
>> in front. Our SSO system (Shibboleth) runs as an Apache module and sets
>> an HTTP header with the logged-in username, which gets passed through
>> to Tomcat and which the app uses Spring's
>> RequestHeaderAuthenticationFilter to read.
>>
>> We would like to switch from HTTP to AJP for the proxy, as recommended
>> by our SSO vendor. When we do, though, the logged-in username ends up
>> in an environment variable and gets passed to Tomcat as a request
>> attribute rather than a header. The Spring filter is using
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getHeader to read the value,
>> which fails. For things to work, it would need to use
>> javax.servlet.ServletRequest.getAttribute. As far as I can tell, no
>> filter exists in Spring that uses requests instead of headers.
>>
>> Is there a way to make Tomcat expose the values of AJP request
>> attributes as headers so that the Spring filter can see them? Or maybe
>> a way to make one the user principal, accessible through
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getUserPrincipal? Then I could
>> use a different Spring filter, J2eePreAuthenticatedProcessingFilter).
>> And if there is a way to do one or both of these, do you think I would
>> be better off trying to fix this on the Spring side?
>>

> You could try setting tomcatAuthentification="false" on your AJP connector
> in server.xml. If Shibboleth put the value in REMOTE_USER as it should then
> tomcat should pick it up as the principal.
> Be aware that you should protect your ajp connector so that no other
> machine than your Apache can connect to it.

Cedric,
I think that the essence of the above is correct, but that strictly speaking the details
are not.
I do not think that the authenticated user-id from Apache is passed via (or taken from)
the REMOTE_USER header.  The mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp modules most probably take the
Apache authenticated user-id directly from the Apache "request record" (r->user), no
matter how it has been set, and pass it on to Tomcat throughj AJP as a request attribute.
The setting of the REMOTE_USER http header is just a side-effect, and may be happening or
not.
The AJP connector at the Tomcat level, if tomcatAuthentication="false", then uses the
value of the received AJP request attribute to set Tomcat's request userPrincipal value.
There is no need then for anything else in Tomcat to grab the REMOTE_USER header of the
request.

I do not know Shibboleth, but I would presume that when it authenticates a user, it sets
the Apache r->user first. And then maybe, accessorily and/or optionally, Shibbolet may
add
a REMOTE_USER header to the request.

And at the Tomcat level, one /may/ have some authentication module that picks up the
user-id from the REMOTE_USER header of the request, and sets it as the Tomcat userPrincipal.

But what I mean to say is that both these things with the REMOTE_USER http header are not

mandatory.  If Apache httpd authenticates a user, by whatever well-written method, the
httpd r->user will be set, and the proxied AJP request will contain the corresponding
user-id.  And if the Tomcat AJP <Connector> says tomcatAuthentication="false", then
the
Connector will pick up this user-id from the AJP request attribute, and set the Tomcat
user to that value.  Independently of any REMOTE_USER header being set or not.

Of course you can always override this, and force the usage of the REMOTE_USER header on
both sides. But why would you do that, if a standard mechanism is already built-in into AJP
?
(It would be different if you were using mod_proxy_http as a connector).