tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: What is the best connector configuration for thousands of mostly idle users?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:34:46 GMT
Jesse Barnum wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Filip Hanik <filip@hanik.com> wrote:
>
>> Jesse, mostly idle users and you wish to conserve resources. Use the
>> JkOptions +DisableReuse
>> on the mod_jk module. This will close connections after the request has
>> been completed. Many will tell you this will slow down your system since
>> new connections have to be created for each request. Usually, the overhead
>> of this connection creation on a LAN is worth it. Measure for yourself.
>> Then you can go back to the regular blocking AJP connector, that will
>> perform a bit better as it doesn't have to do polling.
>

> If I do this, can I keep a long keep-alive time on Apache? I need to preserve that, because
renegotiating SSL connections for every request grinds the web server to a halt.

> Also, I thought mod_jk and mod_ajp were two different things - how can I use them both
together?

Reply to the last phrase above :

mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp are indeed two different things, but with a similar purpose :
- each of them is a different add-on module to Apache httpd
- each one of them can be used as a connector between Apache httpd and Apache Tomcat
- you generally use one or the other, not both at the same time
- they both connect to the same AJP <Connector> at the Tomcat level
- between Apache httpd and Tomcat, they both "speak the same language" (the AJP protocol)

One difference is that mod_jk has quite a few more tunable options than the mod_proxy_ajp

module.  The JkOptions mentioned above by Filip is one of these mod_jk options.
But I don't remember (and did not check earlier in the thread) if you indicated that you
are using mod_proxy_ajp.

And to answer the previous question : yes, I believe that you can keep a long keep-alive
in Apache httpd, independently of how httpd connects to Tomcat.