tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Issue with iplanet 7.0.15
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:36:06 GMT
Senapati, Naresh (GE Healthcare, consultant) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Summary of information provided :
>
> Server A                                     		       Server B
>
> Hardware : SOLARIS ZONE                                Hardware : PROLIANT DL380 G7
> OS: Solaris 10                         		OS: Red Hat Linux 5.6
> JVM : 6.0.25                                    		  JVM: 6.0.30
> Tomcat 6.0.32                                		 Tomcat 6.0.32
> webserver : iplanet 7.15                      	webserver : iplanet 7.15
> webserver/tomat connector : nsapi redirector                webserver/tomat connector
: nsapi redirector
> rating : "performance is good"                rating : "performance has gone down"
>
> The tomcat code has not been changed.

OK.
So now, considering the information above, if there is indeed a perceived performance
difference between these configurations, where would your own suspicions lead you ?

Without going into much details, you might for example want to make a quick price
comparison between the Server B above (in the $1000-$2000 price range ?), and the Server
A, and wonder what justifies the price difference ?
(Note that as far as I know, "solaris zone" stands for a form of virtualisation, and it is

difficult from that information alone to determine what physical resources would be
available to Server A, as compared to B).

To put this another way, and to get back to your original question :
Considering
- that the Tomcat code is identical in both cases
- that the webserver and (presumably) the nsapi redirector code are similar (same version,

but different platform)
- that the JVMs used are similar
then no, there does not seem to be any a-priori reason why a performance difference might

be attributed to these elements.

To get any further, you would have to provide a lot more details about what this perceived

performance difference really consists of.

by web through a iplanet web server which redirects to the tomcat.
>> When the webserver was in Solaris the performance was good. We have migrated the
webserver to Linux and the performance has gone down.

>> We would like to know if there is some compatibility concerns with Tomcat 6.0.32
and iplanet 7.15 which may be causing the degradation in performance.

> Summary of information provided :
>
> Server A                                      Server B
>
> Hardware : ??                                 Hardware : ??
> OS: Solaris ??                                OS: Linux ??
> JVM : ??                                      JVM: ??
> Tomcat 6.0.32                                 Tomcat 6.0.32
> webserver : iplanet 7.15                      webserver : iplanet 7.15
> webserver/tomat connector : ??                webserver/tomat connector : ??
> rating : "performance is good"                rating : "performance has gone down"
>
> So far, the only real information seems to be that the Tomcat code on both servers is
the same. So if there is a difference, it is not there.