tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 and manager issues on VirtualHost environnement
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 16:31:40 GMT
On 2/7/2014 1:47 AM, Gaƫl THEROND wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm facing a really strange issue since about two or three days now.
>
> I've got a Tomcat Server, which contain a virtualhost like this:
>
> http://pastebin.com/gDBhTTLH
>
> If I start my tomcat instance, everything is fine, tomcat is launching
> correctly without error, and correctly create the virtual host under the
> ${catalina_base}/conf/Catalina/
>
> I can see on the catalina.out log file that tomcat even create the
> manager.xml to be able to have an isolated manager for this host.
>
> the manager.xml file is correct.
>
> However, if I try to upload a WAR I'm facing a 403 error coming from tomcat.
> Where I didn't get it, it's that on my main manager everything is fine, I
> can log in and load a WAR correctly.
>
> I'm sure that the tomcat-users.xml is correct because if it was not I would
> not be able to load/start a WAR on the main manager.
>
> Of course, all directory and path are owned by the tomcat user and the
> tomcat itself is launch with this user.
>
> The weird thing, is that sometimes, I can upload the WAR correctly without
> 403 error but then I can't start the application resulting of another 403
> error.
>
> If any futher informations are needed, let me know, I'll provide them as
> soon as possible.
>
> Cheers and thanks for any help!

 From your server.xml:

<Host name="tomcat"  appBase="webapps/admin/"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
          directory="logs"
          prefix="tomcat_access_log." suffix=".log"
          pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
</Host>
<Host name="development.domain.tld" appBase="webapps/development/"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" deployOnStartup="false">
   <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
          directory="logs/development"
          prefix="devel_access_log." suffix=".log"
          pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
</Host>

The appBase of the two virtual hosts overlap. Make sure they're
completely separate directories.

Here's the reference for appBase:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html

And read the automatic deployment section to figure out what happens
when you've overlapped them.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic_Application_Deployment

One way to set up virtual hosts so that this doesn't happen:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/TomcatDevelopmentVirtualHosts

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/