tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:13:56 GMT
javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Andre:
> I used the batch file "SERVICE.BAT INSTALL"  without any additional
> parameters.  Was I missing some parameter?

Possibly.  Depending on your particulat case, you may have needed to specifiy some option,

and because you did not, it may have placed a wrong parameter somewhere, or used the wrong

version of some module.
I don't really now, this is just speculation.  But obviously there is something wrong with

the way your Service is defined.

Or is there a better way of
> installing Tomcat?

If all you want is to run Tomcat as a Service, then yes there is an easier way : download

the "installer" version from the Tomcat website, and run it.

I am a bit unfamiliar with the SERVICE.BAT file, but I would guess that it can also be run

to uninstall the Service that you have already installed now.  If it does offer that, then

run the "SERVICE.BAT uninstall" first, and then run the "installer" that you downloaded.
You can install it in the same directory as before, and it will just overwrite some files.

As others have testified before, the installer version works fine and does the right thing

automatically.

Note that the "installer" version does not install all the files which are contained in
the zip version, only the subset of them needed to run the Service version.  It does not
for example install the BAT files, since they are not needed to run the Service.