tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: retain context.xml across war updates
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:54:12 GMT
On 06/02/2014 18:22, Jesse Barnum wrote:
> Mark, which version of Tomcat 7 implemented the behavior described in that document?

Strictly, 7.0.48 but that wasn't released. 7.0.50 is the first release
with that behaviour. The 8.0.x releases behave that way as well (some of
the early RCs may not).

Mark

> --Jesse Barnum, President, 360Works
> http://www.360works.com
> Product updates and news on http://facebook.com/360Works
> (770) 234-9293
> == Don't lose your data! http://360works.com/safetynet/ for FileMaker Server ==
>
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/2014 17:55, Steve Lopez wrote:
>>> Is there a way to ensure an applications context.xml isn't deleted across reloads
of the war file?    We have server-specific settings in each context.xml and are looking for
a way to deploy the same WAR file across each Tomcat instance.

>>> My first attempt at this was to put the context.xml into ~ catalina /conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml.
  However, Tomcat deletes the file when the app is unloaded.

>>> Is there a setting to tell Tomcat *not* to delete the context.xml in ~catalina/conf/Catalina/[host]/[app]?
  If not, what is the 'best practice' for providing configuration settings to each Tomcat
while also enabling a simple continuous integration and deployment of WAR files for an application
across multiple Tc instances.      Creating custom war files (one for each server) seems brittle
and risky if the wrong war is accidentally deployed on the wrong server.

>>> Specifically, context.xml contains custom settings for memcached-session-manager
which specifies the primary and fallback memcache host.  These would be different for each
server when using sticky sessions.