tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: unable to start Tomcat through the Windows Services panel
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 09:28:14 GMT
javier_espana@hna.honda.com wrote:
> Sorry for my previous attempt.
>
> I installed Tomcat v7.0.42 as a Windows server (I am running Windows 7).
> When I attempt to start it, I get the following message
>
> "Windows could not start the Tomcat7 on Local Computer. For more
> information, review the System Event Log.

and did you review it, and what does it say ?

If this is a non-Microsoft
> service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
> code 4."
>
> If I run the STARTUP.BAT batch file, it starts OK.

See Mark's previous answer.

In a nutshell :

When you run Tomcat via STARTUP.BAT in a command window, Tomcat starts up :
- under your own logged-in user-id
- using the parameters present in the various BAT files present in Tomcat/bin

When you run Tomcat as a Service, it starts up :
- under whatever user-id the Service is configured to run under
- using parameters in the Registry (it does not use the BAT files at all)
(The Registry parameters can be edited via the GUI editor tomcat7w.exe, also in Tomcat/bin)