tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yann Simon <yann.simon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5: asynchron IO and back pressure with ReadListener
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:38:57 GMT
2014-01-30 Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa@gopivotal.com>:
> On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Yann Simon <yann.simon.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a sample app to demonstrate the problem:
>> https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async
>>
>> You can generate an exploded war with maven: mvn war:exploded
>> I deployed the application in tomcat 8.0.0-RC10.
>>
>> The 2 upload form does work.
>> The 1st upload form uses a new thread in , and that does not work.
>> https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async/blob/master/src/main/java/com/yann/ReadListenerImpl.java#L22
>
> I’m not sure I see the point of the code here.  If you force it to block with Thread.sleep()
you’re going to tie up the thread that you’ve created and you’re going to be back to
having threads sitting around and doing nothing.  If that’s the case, you may as well save
yourself some trouble and use the blocking apis.

This sample application is only a simple way to show what I want to
achieve with a more complex application that I mentioned at the
beginning of the thread:
https://github.com/yanns/play2-war-plugin/blob/servlet31/project-code/core/servlet31/src/main/scala/play/core/server/servlet31/RequestHandler31.scala#L80

Let me try to explain the use case:
let's say we want to save the uploaded file chunk by chunk in a
database, for which we have an asynchronous API.
- we receive the first chunk, that we can read synchronously in
onDataAvailable, no problem so far
- we trigger the saving of this chunk in the database, and of course,
we do not wait for the completion of the operation
- we receive the signal that a new chunk is available - the container
call onDataAvailable
- we cannot push this chunk into the database, as the first operation
is not completed
- we asynchronously wait for the completion of the database operation.
We do not read any data so that the container push the pressure back
to the browser, telling it to slowdown. We do not want to block any
thread here. That's why we must exit the onDataAvailable without
having read any data.
- when the database says us that it is ready for a new operation (by a
callback, or an event), then we can read the second chunk and trigger
the save operation in the database

This a what I simulated with the new Thread and Thread.sleep.
In reality, there are no "new Thread" - it just simulates that at some
point later, the database driver informs us that the database is ready
for a new operation.
There are no Thread.sleep neither - it just simulates a slow database
to check the back-pressure mechanism that the container should do on
the browser.

Also, if you said that I must consume the chunks synchronously in
onDataAvailable, I can simply not implement this double triggering
(from browser and from database) without blocking any thread. For me,
it means that I cannot totally use the asynchronous IO mechanism of
the OS.

I hope I made my goals clear.

Cheers,
Yann

> Here’s what I’d suggest to make this work.
>
>   - in onDataAvailable read as much data as possible
>   - if you read until input.isReady() is false then just exit the function.  The container
will call back when more data can be read.
>   - if you need to stop reading for some reason but input.isReady() is still true, use
a thread pool to schedule your own call back to onDataAvailable at some point in the future.
 You can then continue reading at that point in time.
>   - Repeat until you’ve read all the data.
>
> You still need additional threads with this approach, but it’s not one to one.  A small
thread pool can service many requests because the thread is only active when data is being
read.

> Here’s an example of this in action.
>
>   http://git.eclipse.org/c/jetty/org.eclipse.jetty.project.git/tree/jetty-servlets/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jetty/servlets/DataRateLimitedServlet.java
>
> Dan
>

>> The "onDataAvailable" is called only one time.
>>
>> With jetty, it does work (mvn jetty:run)
>>
>> I hope this can help.
>>
>> Yann

it returns false, that should trigger the container to call onDataAvailable() when more data
is available to be read.  If you return from onDataAvailable() and ServletInputStream.isReady()
is still true the container won't call onDataAvailable() again.  You'll be responsible for
calling it when you're ready to read more.

 If you can include a sample Servlet or test case, it would greatly increase your chance of
getting feedback.