tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yann Simon <yann.simon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5: asynchron IO and back pressure with ReadListener
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:18:51 GMT
Hi,

I wrote a sample app to demonstrate the problem:
https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async

You can generate an exploded war with maven: mvn war:exploded
I deployed the application in tomcat 8.0.0-RC10.

The 2 upload form does work.
The 1st upload form uses a new thread in , and that does not work.
https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async/blob/master/src/main/java/com/yann/ReadListenerImpl.java#L22

The "onDataAvailable" is called only one time.

With jetty, it does work (mvn jetty:run)

I hope this can help.

Yann

2014-01-08 Yann Simon <yann.simon.fr@gmail.com>:
> 2014/1/8 Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa@gopivotal.com>:
>> On Jan 8, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Yann Simon <yann.simon.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to write a servlet that asynchronously read data from the
>>> servlet request input stream.
>>> I tested my servlet with tomcat 8.0.0-RC5.
>>
>> If possible, you might want to try 8.0.0-RC10 or trunk and see if you're getting
the same behavior.

>>> the symptoms:
>>> - I must synchronously read the input stream in onDataAvailable() so
>>> that the upload works
>>>
>>> what I expected:
>>> I want to be more "reactive" (buzzword of the moment) and not read the
>>> input stream until I am ready (=until the previous chunk is processed)
>>> I though I could return from onDataAvailable() before having read all
>>> the data, read the data in another thread.
>>
>> Do you have a code sample?  It would help to see what you're doing.
>>
>>> I expected onDataAvailable() to be called again when I consumed all the data
>>> (servletInputStream.isReady becomes false)
>>
>> Generally this sounds OK.  When you call ServletInputStream.isReady() and it returns
false, that should trigger the container to call onDataAvailable() when more data is available
to be read.  If you return from onDataAvailable() and ServletInputStream.isReady() is still
true the container won't call onDataAvailable() again.  You'll be responsible for calling
it when you're ready to read more.

>>> That way, I could implement back pressure on the browser as long as my
>>> servlet has not finished its work with the actual chunk
>>>
>>> But if I do that, neither onDataAvailable() nor onAllDataRead() is called again.
>>
>> Again, a code sample would be helpful.  Debugging non-blocking IO is tricky.  If
you can include a sample Servlet or test case, it would greatly increase your chance of getting
feedback.