tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5: asynchron IO and back pressure with ReadListener
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:10:58 GMT
On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Yann Simon <yann.simon.fr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a sample app to demonstrate the problem:
> https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async
>
> You can generate an exploded war with maven: mvn war:exploded
> I deployed the application in tomcat 8.0.0-RC10.
>
> The 2 upload form does work.
> The 1st upload form uses a new thread in , and that does not work.
> https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async/blob/master/src/main/java/com/yann/ReadListenerImpl.java#L22

I’m not sure I see the point of the code here.  If you force it to block with Thread.sleep()
you’re going to tie up the thread that you’ve created and you’re going to be back to
having threads sitting around and doing nothing.  If that’s the case, you may as well save
yourself some trouble and use the blocking apis.

Here’s what I’d suggest to make this work.

  - in onDataAvailable read as much data as possible
  - if you read until input.isReady() is false then just exit the function.  The container
will call back when more data can be read.
  - if you need to stop reading for some reason but input.isReady() is still true, use a thread
pool to schedule your own call back to onDataAvailable at some point in the future.  You can
then continue reading at that point in time.
  - Repeat until you’ve read all the data.

You still need additional threads with this approach, but it’s not one to one.  A small
thread pool can service many requests because the thread is only active when data is being
read.

Here’s an example of this in action.

  http://git.eclipse.org/c/jetty/org.eclipse.jetty.project.git/tree/jetty-servlets/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jetty/servlets/DataRateLimitedServlet.java

Dan

> The "onDataAvailable" is called only one time.
>
> With jetty, it does work (mvn jetty:run)
>
> I hope this can help.
>
> Yann
>
> 2014-01-08 Yann Simon <yann.simon.fr@gmail.com>:

>>> If possible, you might want to try 8.0.0-RC10 or trunk and see if you're getting
the same behavior.

>>> Do you have a code sample?  It would help to see what you're doing.

>>> Generally this sounds OK.  When you call ServletInputStream.isReady() and it
returns false, that should trigger the container to call onDataAvailable() when more data
is available to be read.  If you return from onDataAvailable() and ServletInputStream.isReady()
is still true the container won't call onDataAvailable() again.  You'll be responsible for
calling it when you're ready to read more.

>>> Again, a code sample would be helpful.  Debugging non-blocking IO is tricky.
 If you can include a sample Servlet or test case, it would greatly increase your chance of
getting feedback.