tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: JAVA_OPTS vs CATALINA_OPTS
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:47:26 GMT
Арсений Зинченко wrote:
> OK, thanks - I'll do it from now (really - never used this file before,
> just now found reference to it in catalina.bat) . But - last question,
> please: in setenv.bat - must be used CATALINA_OPTS or JAVA_OPTS?

Ok, let us be really clear here.

1) The command to *stop* Tomcat starts *another* instance of Java JVM (and Tomcat), *just*

to send a stop signal to the running Tomcat. And after that, this second instance of Java

and Tomcat exits.

2) Options given in JAVA_OPTS are used in *both* the command to start and to stop Tomcat.
Options given in CATALINA_OPTS are used *only* in the command that starts Tomcat, and not

in the command that stops Tomcat.
In other words :
- startup.(bat|sh) : java %JAVA_OPTS% %CATALINA_OPTS% tomcat-stuff
- shutdown.(bat|sh) : java %JAVA_OPTS% tomcat-stuff

That is just the way that these command files are written.

3) So,
- if you use JAVA_OPTS to indicate a Heap of 4 GB, then this Heap of 4 GB will be allocated
:
   - for the JVM instance that starts and runs Tomcat (which is what you want)
   - but *also* for the JVM instance that stops Tomcat (which you probably do not want,
just to send a stop signal)(because then, just for a short moment, you need 4 + 4 = 8 GB
of Heap)

- if you use CATALINA_OPTS to indicate a Heap of 4 GB, then this Heap will be allocated
- *only* for the JVM instance which starts and runs Tomcat
- and *not* for JVM instance that stops Tomcat (that one will use a minimal Heap, so the
total would be only 4 + 0.1 GB)

4) and if you make either one of the above be a general "system variable", then they will

be used by *any* Java JVM that you start on that system.  This is probably not what you
want either, so don't do that.