tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Implementing JAAS with Geronimo LDAPPlugin
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:20:56 GMT
On this list, please do not top-post.  Read the list rules.
Reply below the question, it is easier for everyone to figure out what you are responding

to. See below.

Marco Pizzoli wrote:
 > Hi Mark,
 > Thanks for your reply.
 >
 > Yes I expressly need JAAS. This is a requirement coming from the
 > provider of an external software vendor. It leverages "principals".

For info :

Quite apart from which solution you are using, there are a number of reasons why a
Windows-domain like authentication may not be working.
- the workstation has to be in the domain (seems evident, but for example that it will not

work if the workstation accesses this server from the Internet; in some VPN cases, it may

also not work)
- the Tomcat server itself has to be recognised as being a member of the same Domain, or a

trusted Domain
- Windows on the workstation must consider the Tomcat server as at least a "trusted" host
- the browser used may also have restrictions as to what host it will even attempt to do a

WIA authentication with.  (WIA = Windows Integrated Authentication)

In other words : even if the add-on modules server-side should work and even if your
configuration server-side seems to be ok, there might be workstation-side reasons why this

is not working, and you must make sure that these possible reasons are also eliminated.
If the brower, for whatever reason, is not even trying a WIA, then the server side will
not show any attempt to do the corresponding authentication.
Which seems to be your case, as you describe it.