tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Adding another schema to the web.xml
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:43:29 GMT
Blaise Gervais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a webapp named "portal" who gather informations about other webapps
> ("modules") running on the same Tomcat instance. The "portal" use JMX to
> list all the webapps and then parse the web.xml to extract the "module" 's
> name and description. So I can create a page with a link to all those
> "module"s (Like the Tomcat manager).
>
> But now, some "module"s expects parameters and I would like to be able to
> ask for those parameters to the user before sending them to the "module".
> To keep everything in a single place, I would like to create a schema who
> describe those parameters and use it inside the web.xml.
>
> The app is intended to be deployed only on our tomcat who don't validate
> the web.xml. Does that seems to be a good idea ?

Personal subjective comments only :

This sounds like a question a bit out of scope for this Tomcat Users list, and is more a
question of generic application design.

About the idea : it sounds nice as a "proof of concept" kind of app.
But I get the impression that you are making it a bit more complicated that it ought to
be.  That your portal app would gather info about the other apps and present it in a nice

page with links, sounds nice.
But then, when the user chooses an application, why do you just not re-direct them to the

corresponding application, which already knows how to ask for and handle its own parameters
?
(There are probably also quite a bit of security issues and other complexities involved
otherwise)(independently of coherence, maintenance, webapp separation etc.)

All in all, it sounds to me as a bit "over-engineered", if you get my meaning.

Only my 2 cent, as M.E. would say.