tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: jasper2 doesn't support the "validateXml" attribute
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:57:51 GMT
Gernot wrote:
> 2014/1/15 Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>
>
>> Gernot <gernot_@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I did an upgrade from tomcat 7.0.29 to 7.0.50.
>>> In 7.0.50 jasper2 ant task quits with error 'jasper2 doesn't support
>>> the
>>> "validateXml" attribute'
>>>
>>> Here's the mentioned code:
>>>    <jasper2 validateXml="false"
>>>             uriroot="${build}"
>>>             webXmlFragment="${build}/WEB-INF/generated_web.xml"
>>>             addWebXmlMappings="true"
>>>             outputDir="${build}/WEB-INF/classes"
>>>             compilerSourceVM="7.0"
>>>             compilerTargetVM="7.0" />
>>>

>>> I havn't found any information about this in tomcat's changelog.
>>> Is this a bug? Or a feature?
>>> What's the suggested way to handle this error?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>> It got renamed to validateTld to better describe what it actually does as
>> part of the XML work in 7.0.48 (which wasn't released until 7.0.50). I see
>> at least one place in the docs where this wasn't changed. I'll get that
>> fixed for the next release. If this turns out to be a problem for folks we
>> can add support for the old name as well.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> In my opinion it's not a good idea to break api in minor version upgrade.
> And why isn't there any comment in the changelog?
>
> Please document changes in the changelog!

In the principle, you are probably right.
But regarding the tone, the appropriate answer here would probably be : how much are you
willing to pay for this ?
In other words, maybe it temporarily slipped your mind that Tomcat is Open Source and
Free, and that the people who contribute to it are doing this on a voluntary base ?