tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Packet misses in Tomcat
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:31:17 GMT
Divyaprakash Y wrote:
>> Issue: Few packets do not reach the application servlet but tomcat receives them.
The missing packets reach the HTTP layer and thereafter they disappear.

>> This issue is not frequent but occasionally consistent. For the POSTs of missing
packet I am not able to find the entry in localhost_access_log.

>> How do you know that the packet reaches tomcat if there is no matching entry in localhost_access.log?
Does all other access appear in this file?

> I could see the packet in the wireshark capture and it has reached HTTP layer so I thought
it has reached Tomcat; I may be wrong here. Also, as far as my observation, every hit to the
application URLs was getting logged in local access log.

And is there anything in the Tomcat error logs ?
(Or the Windows Event logs)

A HTTP request might be discarded by Tomcat for various reasons (*) before it is ever
mapped to an application.
In such a case, there is probably also no log of the request in the Access log.
But I would expect some error message in the Tomcat error logs.

(*) Invalid HTTP request, incomplete request, etc..
If there are really packets being lost somewhere, then for POST requests the request size

would not match the Content-length header, and that may be one of these cases.

I must say that the "packets lost" hypothesis sound a bit iffy to me.
This is TCP, which should detect missing packets and cause a client connection abort if it

was the case.  The invalid HTTP request being rejected by Tomcat sounds more probable to me.