tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: System.out.println statements not captured in catalina.out
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 17:00:15 GMT
On 1/2/2014 12:42 AM, Tapajyoti Roybarman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to record all debug statements (System.out.println("xyz")) from my
> application in catalina.out log. When I start Tomcat it creates the log
> file and only records statements till the server startup. But after that,
> none of the System.out.println() statements present in my JSPs get
> recorded in catalina.out file. Though I can see these statements in the
> Tomcat console.
>
> Tomcat Version : apache-tomcat-7.0.27
>
> OS : Windows 7
>
> I am attaching few files which might be of some help.
>
> logging.properties --> present in tomcat/conf
>
> catalina.2013-12-31.log --> example, so that you can see what gets
> generated. Present in tomcat/logs
>
> log4j.properties --> present in tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes
>

> I have seen the documentation present in
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html But, the problem is
> that I can only use the default configuration (JULI). I cannot go for any
> other option. So, I need to find out a way using my current configuration
> only.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tapajyoti

Tapajyoti,

The list strips attachments, so they didn't come through. If you need to
send information to the list, it's best to either post it up on
something like pastebin (if it's huge) or include it inline if it's not.
Most people prefer inline.

That said, are you in control of the applications? Can you make source
code changes? If so, don't use System.out.println() as your error mechanism.

Use something like log4j, with / without commons logging or slf4j. Write
the appropriate configuration file, and direct all of your logging from
the application to that file.

You can do this for all aspects of your application (JSP, servlets,
listeners, filters, plain old java objects).

Opinion:

IMHO there's hardly ever any reason to set up logging in a JSP. Logging
is usually required when you're doing model or controller work (which
belongs in POJOs or servlets) in the view component (JSP). Don't do
this. At the very least wrap this logic up in beans, and place the
logging there. It's also easier to test that way.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/