tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bush, Eddie" <Eddie.B...@williams.com>
Subject [tomcat7] rhel 6 - init.d script works; does not start on reboot
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:32:23 GMT
Howdy, List!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I'm a senior dev, and quite good at that, but for my new client
I'm also charged with configuring our machines. We're running on Tomcat 7, so I grabbed the
tgz and installed it per the instructions.

Everything works great! ... until I reboot the server :) At that point, everything else comes
up, but tomcat does not.

I have removed all logs and rebooted and see nothing notable in any of the tomcat logs (because,
of course, it did not start), nor can I find anything in syslog or messages. The chkconfig
command reports that the script is configured to run for runlevel 2-5, and I've even inspected
the links in rc.d/rc*.d and they are linked to the init.d script (which is the same danged
script that works interactively via "service tomcat start/stop"!)

This may be more of a *nix question than a tomcat question, but I thought I'd try here first
since it is in the context of tomcat itself.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have Google'd myself to death! I'm at my wits end! I'm honestly at the point of thinking
about punting this issue until another day or possibly resigning to making sure that any workflow
which involves a server reboot includes a step for starting tomcat (yuck!).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Eddie