tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ray Holme <rayho...@yahoo.com>
Subject serialization and newest tomcat
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:45:18 GMT
erialization causes some problems in apache-tomcat-7.0.35

I have several applications and run on fedora linux. I have used many releases of fedora and
tomcat.

My applications are characterized by
   a) all use a DB (firebird)
   b) all use both jsp and java servlets
   c) all use transient java beans for a "round" of interaction (user request - user response)
   d) all have 1 or more session java beans for each user (login - logout)
   e) all have 1 or more application beans (initialized at startup, can refresh, passed
around)
   f) all have an application specific jar and share a common code jar

Long ago I added serialization to almost all of the java beans to stop tomcat whining in the
catalina.out file. This worked just fine until the most recent tomcat release.

On my development machine, java changes build new jars and apache/tomcat must be restarted
to work right. Starting with the new release, problems with connections happened.

After research, I discovered that the applications were going nuts with connection requests
and xinetd was shutting down the connection factory service. It took a 30 minute wait (or
reboot) to fix this problem. My guess is that the application wide beans were not only being
made fresh as always happens (they use one connection each to initialize), but that the serialized
versions were coming back up and trying to refresh causing lots of strange connections to
be created (if one is not passed, one is made and there are many routines each needing a connection).

To solve this problem, I stopped serialization. This solved the problem.

From the notes I got from others (thanks Mark and ...):

serialization can be stopped by putting this in many places - here is one:
   appname/META-INF/context.xml

   <Manager pathname="" />