tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nancee Riehl <>
Subject Different SSLHandshakeExceptions tomcat 6.0.35 and 7.0.47
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:46:59 GMT
Hi all,

I've implemented my own JSSE-Implemantation to do some special
Client-Certificate Validations.
When I sent a Client Certificate with length 0 I get in tomcat 6.0.35 this
Exception: Received fatal alert: bad_certificate

This is good because I can check it in my JUnit-Test.

When I do the same test with tomcat 7.0.47 I get only this Exception: Software caused connection abort: recv failed

My Implemation for further Certificate Validations is not affected at this

The Handshake in my own Socket-Factory looks like this:
try {
} catch (IOException e) {
throw new SSLHandshakeException("Test");
} catch (Exception e) {
throw new SSLException(e);

I've also created wireshark traces there I could see that with tomcat
6.0.35 I get an Alert Message with Level Fatal (2) and Description Bad
Certificate (42)

With tomcat 7.0.47 I get an Encrypted Alert without further information.

Best regards,