tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Request Timeout and empty post data issue
Date Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:11:40 GMT
Peter Rifel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running Tomcat 7.0.42 on Ubuntu 12.04 with OpenJDK 1.7.0_25.  I'm using
Apache Tomcat Native library 1.1.27 with APR version 1.4.6.

> I'm noticing in my access logs that some of our POST requests don't have any POST data
and all have response times of a few ms over 20000ms.  I'm trying to figure out whether this
issue is client side or server side.  The response code and response size for these requests
are normal.  Can anyone tell me under what circumstances this would happen?  I noticed that
our connector's connectionTimeout is set to 20000ms, but it wouldn't make sense for that value
to be a part of this issue because a connection timeout only occurs when the URI hasn't been
received by tomcat in that amount of time, which is clearly not happening here (I was able
to confirm this with telnet; a connection timeout will not write anything to the access logs).

> The "request" is making it to my servlet (logging confirms this) but for some reason
tomcat doesn't see any request parameters and all of the response times in our access logs
are just above 20 seconds.  Does this mean that my servlet is taking 20 seconds to process
the request?  Is there some other timeout value somewhere that defaults to 20 seconds?  Is
there a way for me to see exactly what is taking so long?  Its incredibly hard to debug this
because we cant reproduce this bug on our own without any post data and <1% of our production
traffic is having this issue.  To try and gather more info on this, I added a servlet filter
that logs all of our POST request parameters to the access log and I can confirm that there
are no parameters on these specific requests.

> The lack of post data makes me think its a client issue, but that doesn't explain why
all of these requests take ~20 seconds to be processed.

> I'd appreciate any ideas on what could cause this.

Can't think of an answer yet, but what would help is if you posted the corresponding
<Connector> configuration here.

I am a bit puzzled by your description of the servlet filter above.
How does it determine that the request has no POST parameters ?
And how/what does it log to the Access log ?

Also, can you get to the HTTP headers of the request, in this filter ?
It may be useful to know what the request's "Content-length" header is saying.

And one more thing : presumably, you know what kind of POST requests this is, or what it
should be.  What would a normal POST request of that kind look like ?
For example if it was a valid/legitimate POST request of that kind from a valid/legitimate

client (browser ?), how large could it be, as a maximum ?