tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: EOFException in AjpNioProcessor
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:09:27 GMT
Jesse Barnum wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Konstantin Preißer <kpreisser@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I suspect the AJP client intentionally closes the connection if e.g. the HTTP client
which connected to the outer Webserver (HTTPD, IIS) aborted the HTTP connection (or there
was some other error) so this error is reflected at Tomcat (which can therefore throw this
exception). Otherwise Tomcat or the Webappp would not know that there was an error and if
it e.g. was sending a 10 GB file, it would continue to send it.

> If this is the case, then shouldn't the AJP client include the AbortException as the
'causedBy' property for the EOFException? The last line in the stack trace is:

>> at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpNioProcessor.readSocket(AjpNioProcessor.java:358)
>
> So something went wrong when it tried to read the socket, but I would think there would
be some java.net.* or java.io.* exception (ie. AbortException, SocketException) corresponding
to that problem. Throwing the EOFException without an associated cause sounds like there is
something wrong with the state of the data being received, not with the underlying network
socket itself.

Take this with a grain of salt again, but from the reading I've done, I believe that the
EOFexception comes from the class which you use for read()-ing the input stream.
It is that class which "translates" the underlying exception to EOFexception.