tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Modify content in META-INF/context.xml
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:08:01 GMT
Jose María Zaragoza wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm using Apache Tomcat 6.0.24 and I've deployed a web application
> that defines its resources into META-INF/context.xml , especially
> information about connection pool
>
> Sometimes I''ve to edit that file to change some data , i.e, database's JDBC url
>
> I've seen that restart web application is not enough to apply these
> changes  , so I need to redeploy the web application ( I mean, unpack
> WAR file, modify it , repack it again, copy to deploy folder ...)
>
> My question:
>
> Do you know other way to modify META-INF/context.xml and apply the
> changes and don't have to redeploy the WAR file ?
>
> Restart the web application is not a problem, but restart Tomcat is
>
> Any ideas ?

Hi.
Without having any idea really of the precise mechanism behind database connections, I can

still imagine that with the possibility of pooled connections to said database(s), it may

be difficult to detect such a change in the corresponding context.xml and apply them "on
the fly". Even more so if such connections could be shared between different applications.