tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Proposal to contribute a SyslogAccessLogValve to the Tomcat project
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:56:52 GMT

Cyrille,

On 12/12/13, 3:56 AM, Cyrille Le Clerc wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>
> Delegating to log4j/logback/java.util.logging could be an option
> but it would still greatly benefit of a refactoring to split the
> existing AccessLogValve into an AbstractAccessLogValve with the
> formatting logic and an AccessLogValve that would keep the logic to
> write in the file.
>
> With this split, the <MyLoggingFramework>AccessLogValve would
> extend the AbstractAccessLogValve.

I'm not sure that's even necessary (since the current class could be
merely changed-over to use a logger directly), although the
AccessLogValve was designed to be "fast" which I believe it why it
does not use a "regular" logger but rather its own write-to-disk logger.

> Regarding the existing Syslog implementations in Log4j and Logback,
> they don't yet allow user to customise the syslog header fields but
> I plan to propose to contribute these enhancements.

Great!

> Finally, regarding the idea of injecting a logging framework jar in
> Tomcat classloader, I feel it makes things pretty difficult to
> understand with the risk of collision of the jars.

I'm not sure that's much of a problem. First, Tomcat uses
commons-logging and (modified) java.logging out of the box so they
don't need to be "added"... just the logger that knows how to contact
connect to syslog. Tomcat also supports using log4j which has a syslog
appender already in it.

> As a conclusion, I would be very happy to contribute to the Tomcat
> project either the full SyslogAccessLogValve or just the split of
> the existing AccessLogValve into an AbstractAccessLogValve with the
> formatting logic and a AccessLogValve with the logic to write in
> files.

I'll let others comment, of course.

- -chris