tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@PingToo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to contribute a SyslogAccessLogValve to the Tomcat project
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:42:11 GMT
On 12/12/13 08:56, Cyrille Le Clerc wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>
> Delegating to log4j/logback/java.util.logging could be an option but it
> would still greatly benefit of a refactoring to split the existing
> AccessLogValve into an AbstractAccessLogValve with the formatting logic and
> an AccessLogValve that would keep the logic to write in the file.

I raised the issue of the AccessLogValve(s) not using the tomcat logging
framework earlier this year. (ref: "Puzzled by Access Valve Logging" on
the dev list.) Konstantin Kolinko pointed out that I should have held
the discussion on the users list instead, and also that there were
performance reasons for leaving the existing logic alone...

> With this split, the <MyLoggingFramework>AccessLogValve would extend the
> AbstractAccessLogValve.

I was not convinced by Konstantin, but did not have the time to
undertake any research. I /still/ have an item on my "todo" list to
develop an AccessLogValve that uses the implementation-defined tomcat
logging framework (which in my case is bound to log4j). Performance is
not an issue for me, but consistency of logging is more important.

My first task was to split the logger class in exactly the way Cyrille
proposes. My initial impression several months ago was that the file
handling could be refactored into a separate class, which extended an
abstract class that performed the formatting (thus preserving a common
set of formatting definitions, and also preserving high performance for
those installations that require it).

I am travelling at the moment, so haven't had time to review Cyrille's
code. However, I thought it would be helpful to register my thoughts as
quickly as possible.

I hope his proposal is evaluated in a positive light. It isn't high
priority, but I think it represents a valuable step forward with code
that hasn't changed much over several releases.

Regards,

Brian