tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bill Davidson <bill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Notification strategy for OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:20:42 GMT
On 12/9/2013 5:20 PM, Bill Davidson wrote:
> On 12/9/2013 3:12 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
>> 1. Use -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="cmd args;cmd args"
>>
>> Rig this to email you, register a passive-check data point with your
>> monitoring server, etc. Just remember that OOMEs happen for a number
>> of reasons. You could have run out of file handles or you could have
>> run out of heap space.
>
> That looks interesting.  It wouldn't tell me about the error but at least I'd
> know that there was an OOME.  Better than nothing and I can go check
> catalina.out.  Of course, I still have the problem that threads silently fail
> and show my users not so much as an error message.

I have implemented this one.  The only real down side is that it only fires
for the first one.  Admittedly, I don't want to see hundreds of these but
getting pinged every few minutes would probably be good.  I may rig up
a way for my script to do that until I turn it off.

Still not entirely sure how to do the other ones.