tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:57:40 GMT

On 12/6/13, 7:59 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We've been systematically updating our customers from Tomcat 7.0.25
> to 7.0.47 this week, after we've determined that our webapp runs
> just fine on 47, and 47 runs just fine on AS/400s.
> Until now.
> We have one customer box on which, if you launch Tomcat 7.0.25, it
>  works just fine. But if you try to launch 7.0.47 instead, it
> crashes on takeoff, with this error message (directory name changed
> to protect the innocent):
>> qsh: 001-0018 Error found running command
>> /foo/tomcat/bin/ Permission denied.
> Both of the Tomcat versions are within what I'm calling "foo"; I'm
> swapping them in and out by changing the tomcat directory of the
> one I want active to "tomcat," and the other to "" or
> "tomcat.bak." The authorities look exactly the same, from one to
> the other, on the two Tomcat directories, on the corresponding
> objects within the two directories, and on the corresponding
> objects within their respective bin directories.

All the way up to root? I'm not sure about AS/400, but if a user does
not have execute privileges for all directories from the root down to
where the binary/script is, they can't execute it.

> The only difference is ownership of objects: we have two accounts
> on this particular box, and 7.0.25 is owned by the account I'm not
>  using today. But if ownership were the problem, then I would
> expect 47 to work and 25 to crash on takeoff.
> For now, I've got that customer back on 7.0.25, but we've already
> found that 7.0.47 seems to work a good deal better, so I want to
> figure out what's the matter here.

Can you give us some "proof" that all the permissions are the same,
etc? I've often found that while preparing a message to this very list
with a question about why something doesn't work, the mere assembly of
all that information in one place leads me to the solution and I don't
even have to post.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -