tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James H. H. Lampert" <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
Subject On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:59:01 GMT
We've been systematically updating our customers from Tomcat 7.0.25 to
7.0.47 this week, after we've determined that our webapp runs just fine
on 47, and 47 runs just fine on AS/400s.

Until now.

We have one customer box on which, if you launch Tomcat 7.0.25, it works
just fine. But if you try to launch 7.0.47 instead, it crashes on
takeoff, with this error message (directory name changed to protect the
innocent):

> qsh: 001-0018 Error found running command /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh. Permission denied.

Both of the Tomcat versions are within what I'm calling "foo"; I'm
swapping them in and out by changing the tomcat directory of the one I
want active to "tomcat," and the other to "tomcat.new" or "tomcat.bak."
The authorities look exactly the same, from one to the other, on the two
Tomcat directories, on the corresponding objects within the two
directories, and on the corresponding objects within their respective
bin directories.

The only difference is ownership of objects: we have two accounts on
this particular box, and 7.0.25 is owned by the account I'm not using
today. But if ownership were the problem, then I would expect 47 to work
and 25 to crash on takeoff.

For now, I've got that customer back on 7.0.25, but we've already found
that 7.0.47 seems to work a good deal better, so I want to figure out
what's the matter here.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation