tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Need Information regarding Apache Webserver static file configuration
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:33 GMT
On 12/5/2013 5:37 AM, Tapajyoti Roybarman wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> I apologize for not following the mailing rule. Actually this is the first
> time that I am taking the help of such a forum.
>
> Before I begin asking you anything I want to thank you for such a detailed
> explanation.
>
> To begin with, answer to your question - "why do you want to serve these
> files from Apache httpd, instead of letting Tomcat do it?" I am planning
> to use Apache httpd as a Load Balancer. And to improve the performance of
> my application, I want to serve the static content from apache itself.

Keep in mind that the performance boost you get from having httpd
serving static files instead of Tomcat will be small, perhaps not even
measurable depending on the details of your configuration and application.

Having httpd as a load balancer is a good use of it, but having it serve
all your static files as a performance booster, not so much.

Dave