tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ray Holme <rayho...@yahoo.com>
Subject slim and trim tomcat - which java is needed
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:42:27 GMT
I have discovered that under the conf/localhost and webapps directories, all of the release
directories and xml files can be removed, leaving just the application(s) you want running.
I could b wrong but I think this also closes some possible security issues, besides keeping
a smart-cookie from playing with the examples ...

However I am totally unclear which (if any) java pieces need to be on a distribution machine.
Obviously a source machine needs the Java JDK. On a distribution machine, apache compiles
JSP code initially so it needs something.

One person told me the JRE should be enough, but another said that Apache/Tomcat actually
comes with it's own compiler, and yet another says to have the JDK.  On my Fedora-18 distribution
(before I put in the JDK), there is at least one java compiler (/etc/alternatives/javac).

So do we need the JRE or the JDK or can Tomcat work without either on a non-sofware development
box???