tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <>
Subject Is the Tomcat JSR-356 WebSocketClient-AsyncIO threadpool configurable?
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:07:23 GMT
As part of loading testing our JSR-356 websocket implementation (running in Tomcat 7.0.48),
we've created a subset of Tomcat jars to use as our "client" jsr-356 jars.

Q1: are there any plans to create a client jsr-356 jar - similar to the Tyrus RI?

Secondly, during this load testing, we have experienced occasional IO-related issues that
we can't quite pin down, but they all seem to be client-side.  Usually, this occurs when we
have 20K (or more) websocket connections in the test client.  NOTE:  we are only using 50
- 100 threads in an executor against the collection of open websockets, so it doesn't seem
like a huge number of threads sending/receiving messages.

If appears that Tyrus supports configuration of the client side threadpool, but we're currently
running on Tomcat in the server, so we wanted to find out if the "receiving" threads (WebSocketClient-AsyncIO)
is coming from the same NIO connector threadpool, or from somewhere else.

Q2: is the underlying AsynchronousSocketChannel receiving threadpool configurable?

-          when running as a standalone java se client app

-          and, when running within Tomcat as a websocket server

Skype: bob.deremer.thingworx
O: 610.594.6200 x812
M: 717.881.3986